Fostering innovation is one of the three pillars of the AFS mission. Research is a key part of fostering innovation. The support of metalcasting-related research is critical for North America to maintain a strong and advancing industry.
Research at AFS takes two formats:
AFS allocates funds every year for critical research. The Research Board, a five-member Board with rotating membership, reviews developments in all metals-related fields, and prioritizes and approves projects. The Board also coordinates AFS research with that of other organizations when mutually beneficial in addressing the needs of the metalcasting community.
To download one of the research forms, click on the appropriate link.
- AFS Research Proposal Form
- AFS R&D Project Committee Tracking & Division Approval Form
- AFS Research Memo Agreement Contract Form
- Proposal Concept White Paper Form
- AFS Research In-Kind Form
If you are interested in participating in an AFS project or committee activity, contact the AFS Technical Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Steve Robison, Senior Technical Director, at email@example.com.
AFS is also integrally involved in outside research benefiting AFS members. These include the following:
- American Metalcasting Consortium (defense-related castings research)
- Advanced Casting Research Center
- LIFT (Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow)
- Click on Other Industry Research below for additional AFS external research endeavors.
Research Success Stories