AFS supports vigorous enforcement of U.S. trade laws. Too often, foreign countries have engaged in unfair and unlawful trade practices such as currency manipulation, subsidies, and dumping, which result in an uneven playing field, and a shift of market share away from the U.S. These practices must come to an end.
For example, in 2000, China produced only about 11% of the world’s aluminum. Now, after joining the World Foundry Organization (WFO) on December 11, 2001, it produces more than half. Meanwhile, the number of foundries in the U.S. has dropped from 2,380 in 2005 to about 1,950 in 2017.
About 20% of castings sold in the U.S. are made outside of North America. That statistic understates the impact of unfair trade practices, in that as the trade deficit has grown, more manufactured goods that contain castings are imported into the U.S., statistics for casting-sales do not capture the value of castings that are part of finished goods imported into the U.S.
- Federal investigations to review the strategic importance of metals and metalcasting to U.S. national defense and to the U.S. economy.
- Strong enforcement actions that will address unfair trade and market-distorting policies, and ensure a fair and even playing field for U.S.-based casting producers.
- The inclusion of Buy America requirements in certain taxpayer-funded infrastructure projects.
- Crackdowns against foreign firms re-routing various manufactured products, including castings, through third countries/regions, to evade trade regulations.
- Educating all manufacturers and buyers on the advantages of reshoring. AFS is a sponsor of The Reshoring Initiative.
AFS also invites members of Congress, congressional staff, and other public officials to tour metalcasting facilities, to gain a deeper understanding of the importance of this industry, and the nearly 200,000 jobs it provides. Please contact Ben Yates (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stephanie Salmon (email@example.com) if you are a public official and you would like to schedule a foundry plant tour.