Crystalline Silica Resource Page
OSHA's new crystalline silica rule was finalized March 24. It reduced the permissible exposure limit (PEL) to silica in half, from 100 µg (micrograms)/cu.m to 50 µg/cu.m. AFS is committed to assisting foundries in coming into, and maintaining compliance with these new regulations, in the most effective and economical manner.
Silica Handbook for Small and Medium-Sized Foundries
This comprehensive guide is an AFS Members only resource. The 200+ page document includes copies of the Respirable Crystalline Silica standard (regulation), a plain language description of the requirements including respiratory protection and medical surveillance requirements, and more than thirty (30) attachments of templates, fillable forms, spreadsheets to track lab analysis, case studies from foundries, lists of service providers such as Industrial Hygienists, non-silica media providers, and a template to develop your own Silica Exposure Control Plan. Check out the table of contents for a full list of available resources. This is a living document, being updated as we hear of your needs and obtain information from OSHA, so check back often for updates.
Crystalline Silica Compliance Webinar Series for AFS Members
- Silica Substitutes - What Will Work for Your Foundry? Feb. 28, 2018 – Panelists: Steve Gates, Jeff Morrell, Bill Johnston, and Jerry Thiel
- How to Select an Industrial Hygienist and What to Expect When They Come March 29, 2018 – Presenter: Kay Rowntree
- Respiratory Protection and Medical Surveillance for Silica April 26, 2018 – Presenter: Kay Rowntree
- Control of Silica: Part 1- Exposure Control Options May 30, 2018 – Bob Scholz
- Countdown to Compliance Under OSHA's Final Silica Rule June 19, 2018 – Presenter: Bradford T. Hammock
- Control of Silica Exposures: Part 2- Defining Root Causes and Evaluating Options for Silica Exposure Control June 28, 2018 – Presenter: Bob Scholz
- Housekeeping & Silica Exposure Control Plans July 26, 2018 - Presenter: Eric Pylkas
- Silica Q&A August 30, 2018 - Presenters: Tom Slavin, Kay Rowntree, Bob Scholz, Eric Pylkas
Update on Respirable Silica - What You Should be Doing Now Nov. 7, 2017 – Presenter: Tom Slavin
AFS Webinar on OSHA's Final Rule and Its Impact on Metalcasters April 12, 2016 – Presenters: Tom Slavin and Stephanie Salmon
Timeline and Resource Links
Silica Compliance Timeline (AFS Members Only)
OSHA agrees to use of non-HEPA industrial sweepers is acceptable under new silica rule - October 2018
Frequently Asked Question for General Industry (January 2019) - New!
AFS - Silica FAQs General Industry Summary (January 2019) - New!
OSHA Interim Enforcement Guidance for the Respirable Crystalline Silica in General Industry standard, 29 CFR 1910.1053 – OSHA’s guidance to its compliance safety and health officers on what to look for when inspecting a foundry for RCS compliance, and explanations of what justifies a violation and citation
Industrial Hygiene Companies That Are AFS Members
Sand and Non-Silica Media Vendor List
Foundry Vacuum Vendors for Crystalline Silica
Finding Assistance for Cost-Effective Sampling
The 3 Most Common Styles of Respirable Samplers
Detailed Information on the Rule
Review of Health Effects Literature and Preliminary Quantitative Risk Assessment
Preliminary Economic Analysis and Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis (With Employment Analysis)
Silica Control Resources
Silica PEL Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)
PPE Guide for Metalcasting Operations (Book)
Silica Exposure Control Plan Template
For further information, email Stephanie Salmon, AFS Washington Office, or call 202-452-7135.