The Subpart UUU New Source Performance Standard (NSPS) Rule covers new sources of emissions from calciners and dryers at mineral processing plants. These facilities process feldspar, fire clay, fuller’s earth, gypsum, industrial sand, kaolin, lightweight aggregate, magnesium compounds, perlite, roofing granules, talc, titanium dioxide, and vermiculite to be used in various industries.
While this rule would appear to not be applicable to foundry operations there hon foundry operations. In 2012, EPA Region V initiated enforcement actions against foundries for failure to comply with Subpart UUU. Although EPA has not issued civil penalties for violations of Subpart UUU as part of these recent enforcement actions, facilities were required to take several corrective actions.
Additional information is provided in the following links.
- Enforcement Alert - EPA Region V for Air Regulations, Including NSPS Subpart UUU
- AFS Meeting with EPA Region V - Subpart UUU, February 1, 2013
- U.S.E.P.A., Applicability Determination Index: 0000013, 0000056, 0000082, 0200086, 0300023, 0400016, 0400017, 0500025, 0500052, 0500056, 0500077, 0500084, 0500123, 0600017, 0600020, 0600024, 0700004, 0700071, 0800007, 0800028, 0800037, 0800052, 0900004, 0900005, 0900006, 9400008, 9600025, 9600060, 9600084, 9600085, 9700021, 9700038, 9700049, 9700071, 9700130, 9800041, 9800068, 9800074, and 0800052
- Thompson, C., Applicability of NSPS Subpart UUU to Foundries, September 25, 2007
- U.S.E.P.A., Calciners and Dryers in Mineral Industries – Background Information for Promulgated Standards, December 1991, EPA-450/3-85-025b
- U.S.E.P.A., Applicability of NSPS Subpart UUU to Foundries, August 21, 2013
- Fleischmann, C., et. al., Applicability of NSPS Subpart UUU to Foundries, June 17, 2013
- Fleischmann, C., Peters, G., Sign Letter urging EPA to follow their original guidelines and exempt foundries from NSPS rules
- Kapel, D., Sand Reclamation Rules On the Rise, Modern Casting (June, 2013), pp. 32 – 35
- O’Meara, N., Re: Request for Alternative NSPS Monitoring Method for Thermal Sand Reclamation System, September 4, 2012
- Breneman, S., Request for Alternative NSPS Monitoring Method for Plant 1 Process P40 – Sand Cooler Waupaca Foundry, Inc., April 12, 2013