Steel Metalcasting 101
This introductory course provides participants with a basic understanding of steel classifications, metallurgical aspects, and the steelmaking process. This course covers the following topics: steelmaking and casting in a metalcasting facility, metallurgy and classification, heat treatment, quality control, and understanding customer steel specifications.
The course includes practical and theoretical knowledge for those entering the industry, such as new engineers and those who work directly on the metalcasting floor. It provides a broad foundation of the processes, treatments, equipment used, safety, and inspection methods of steel castings. It also examines common defects in castings and various testing procedures.
Class participants will learn to:
- Describe the main principles and features of the steelmaking, molding and metalcasting processes.
- Explain the chief properties and types of steel, as well as what distinguishes it from iron.
- Describe the various heat treatment processes and procedures.
- Describe inspection methods along with types and causes of steel defects.
- Identify industry requirements and standards for inspections and welding repairs.
- Describe features of chemical and mechanical testing of steel.
- Explain the importance of fully understanding customer specifications and the role of communications in the specification process.
Course Length1.0 day
CEU Units0.60 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Steelmaking and Casting in the Metalcasting Facility
• The Steelmaking Process
• The Metalcasting Process
Module 3: Basic Metallurgy and Classification of Steel
• Difference Between Steel and Iron
• Crystal Structures, Phases, and Steel Microstructures
• Mechanical and Physical Properties of Steel
Module 4: Heat Treatment of Steel
• Heat Treatment Process
• Heat Treating Procedures
Module 5: Quality Control of Steel Castings
• Safety Requirements
• Defects in Steel
• Inspection Methods
• Chemical and Mechanical Testing
Module 6: Customer Steel Specifications
• Understanding Customer Specifications
• Defining and Communicating Expectations
• Choosing the Steel Process
Module 7: Conclusion
Get More Info
If you would like additional information on these eLearning modules, or if you are interested in setting up a free demo, please reach out.
We are happy to provide you with more information to help you determine which course format is best for you and your employees.