"Great course! I enjoyed the class and will be back."
Iron Metalcasting 101
This is an introductory course covering the major cast iron families. Course topics include: characteristics and properties, as well as general applications for each iron type; common alloying elements and their uses; iron melting technology and considerations; compatible casting processes and heat treatment options; and applications.
Class participants will learn to:
- Describe the critical factors and features of cast iron that make it the casting alloy of choice.
- Understand how elements in cast iron are adjusted to produce different grades.
- Explain the classification systems for each of the five cast iron families.
- Discuss the mechanical and physical properties of each of the five families of cast irons.
- State four important inspection/testing methods for determining cast iron quality.
- Analyze how different elements impact the properties of cast iron.
- Describe the basic melting practices and related technologies for cast iron.
- Compare iron casting processes.
- Explain the use of heat treatment of cast iron and how it affects mechanical properties and cost.
- Apply safety procedures to the daily work environment in a metalcasting facility.
Course Length1.0 day
CEU Units0.60 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Overview of Cast Iron
• Where Are Iron Castings Used?
• Why Is Cast Iron Commonly Used?
• Cast Iron Key Points
Module 3: Cast Iron Classification Systems and Properties
• Cast Iron Families
• General Cast Iron Properties Overview
• Designation System Introduction
• Gray Iron
• Ductile Iron
• Compacted Graphite, White, Malleable, and High Alloy Irons
• Iron Family Group Activities
Module 4: Elements in Cast Iron
• Main Elements in Cast Iron
• Alloying and Trace Elements in Cast Iron
Module 5: Applications of Cast Iron
• Alloy Selection
Module 6: Cast Iron Melting Technology
• Cast Iron Safety
• Furnace Types
• Melting Practice Overview
Module 7: Iron Casting Processes
• Sand Casting
• Investment Casting
• Lost Foam Casting
• Casting Process Case Study
Module 8: Heat Treatment Overview
• Reasons for Heat Treatment, Heat Treatment Options, and Results of Heat Treatment
Module 9: Conclusion
Get More Info
If you would like additional information on these eLearning modules, or if you are interested in setting up a free demo, please reach out.
We are happy to provide you with more information to help you determine which course format is best for you and your employees.