"Excellent course; well worth the trip and time; very interesting material and well delivered."
Introduction to Metalcasting
This course introduces the metalcasting process by providing a broad overview of what takes place in a metalcasting facility; illustrating the technology, variables and complexities involved in producing a casting. Course topics include: casting design; alloy selection; process selection; gating and design system; pouring and shakeout methods; cleaning and finishing method; quality assurance; safety and environmental regulations.
The learner will leave the course understanding the basic process of making a casting and key decisions to be made in metalcasting facilities.
Class participants will learn to:
- Define key metalcasting terminology.
- Identify the current state of the metalcasting industry.
- Identify the first five casting process areas and one key point from each area.
- Identify seven alloys used in the metalcasting process.
- Identify the last five casting process areas and one key point from each area.
- Describe the difference between pre- and post-casting quality assurance tests.
- Identify the two agencies regarding environmental health and safety.
- Actively participate in creating a metalcasting, analyze various case studies, and review a S.W.O.T analysis.
Course Length2.0 days
CEU Units1.10 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Metalcasting Terminology
- What is Metalcasting?
- The Full Process
- Tour through the Foundry
Module 3: What is the Metalcasting Industry?
- Metalcasting Statistics
- S.W.O.T. Analysis
Module 4: Casting Production, Part 1
- Design Considerations
- Mold Preparation
- Melting and Pouring
Module 5: Alloys
- Alloy Basics
- Alloy Teach Backs
- Which Alloy?
Module 6: Casting Production, Part 2
- Casting Removal
- Port Processing Methods
Module 7: Quality Assurance
- Quality Assurance Tests
- Casting Defects
Module 8: Environmental Health & Safety Regulations
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)
Module 9: Putting It All Together
- Foundry in a Box
- Case Studies
- S.W.O.T. Analysis, Part 2
- Final Activities: Case Studies and Action Plan
- Summary of Course and Review of Learning Outcomes
- Complete Course Evaluation
Module 10: Conclusion
Get More Info
If you would like additional information on these eLearning modules, or if you are interested in setting up a free demo, please reach out.
We are happy to provide you with more information to help you determine which course format is best for you and your employees.