"Been to several classes outside of AFS, though this class was only two days long, it gave me more useful information than the week-long classes elsewhere."
Gating & Riser Design 101
Gating design directly impacts casting quality and yield. This course guides participants through the basic functions of gating and risers to provide clean, sound, and functional castings. An introduction to fluid flow and solidification will serve to guide participants through key design concepts of the various functional elements of good gating and riser design.
Emphasis will be placed on hands-on activities, animations, and simulations to enhance understanding of the filling and solidification processes in a foundry. The focus will be on practical examples in iron, steel, aluminum, and copper castings. The goal is to introduce to the participants the basics of gating and riser design, common industry norms and troubleshooting.
Class participants will learn to:
- Identify how casting quality requirements impact gating and risers.
- Describe the function of risers.
- Identify the effects of different alloys on riser size and location.
- Identify the effects of production process parameters on riser size and location.
- Determine riser locations.
- Calculate the size of riser and connections.
- Demonstrate the basic applications of chills.
- List unique riser considerations for iron castings.
- Describe the function and features of a gating system.
- Identify the effects of different alloys on a gating system.
- Identify the effects of process parameters on gating system design.
- Determine gate sizes and locations.
- Describe the basics of fluid dynamic principles.
Course Length2.0 days
CEU Units1.20 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: The Gating and Risering System
• The Rigging System
• Customer Requirements
• Function of the Gating and Riser System
Module 3: Riser Considerations
• Riser Types and Functions
• Alloy Considerations
Module 4: Riser Placement
• Casting Geometry Considerations
• Process Considerations
Module 5: Cast Iron Castings
• Cast Iron Specific Considerations
• Tools for Placing and Sizing Risers
Module 6: Gating Design
• Fluid Flow Principles
• Calculating Gate Size
Module 7: Part Design Influence
• Casting Geometry
• Alloy Considerations
Module 8: Process Parameters
• Pouring Practices
• Defects and Troubleshooting