"Very good class and instructors. Will recommend to all individuals who want to enhance their problem solving skills."
Foundry Process Improvement
Participants will receive basic root cause analysis training, which can serve as a refresher, a preparatory course for the American Society for Quality (ASQ) Six Sigma Green Belt Certification program, or as a follow-up to any quality certification training. Metalcasting facilities often struggle with problem solving and have a need for training with a focus on metalcasting issues. At its core, this course provides personnel with disciplined problem-solving techniques, and emphasizes tools to better understand process data and performance using unique examples and case studies drawn from metalcasting facility settings.
Discussion on the first day will include problem solving approaches, problem statement development, team and project management, process thinking, problem characterization, and examine types of data. The second day will focus on collecting and analyzing data, tools for analyzing process variation, process capability, and testing the root cause(s). The third day will focus on developing solutions, countermeasures and methods for sustaining improvement, and conclude with a capstone problem-solving exercise that allows students to demonstrate what they have learned. Participants will also have an opportunity to bring specific problems and/or process improvement challenges to class for discussion and analysis.
Participants will obtain a higher level of knowledge about problem solving and process improvement practices used in established metalcasting facilities. They will be armed with the knowledge to begin working through process-based problems and understand ways to solve issues that may plague their organization. This course also provides an opportunity for hands-on practice using metalcasting-specific examples.
Class participants will learn to:
- Describe structured problem-solving approaches.
- Develop effective problem statements.
- Characterize problems to develop possible root causes.
- Recognize various methods for collecting and analyzing data.
- Explain why process stability is required for improvement.
- Identify process sampling strategies for determining root cause.
- Determine process improvement solutions and countermeasures.
- Implement corrective action to sustain improvement.
Course Length3.0 days
CEU Units1.40 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Overview of Structured Problem Solving
• Structured Problem Solving for Metalcasting Facilities
• Problem Solving Basics
• Effective Problem Definition
• Managing Customer Expectations
Module 3: Teams, Project Management, and Process Thinking
• The Project Team
• Process Thinking
• Understanding Process Variation
Module 4: Driving Toward Root Cause
• Root Causes
• Tools for Identifying Possible Root Causes
Module 5: The Nature of Data
• Types of Data Used In Metalcasting Facilities
• Using Statistics to Understand Your Data
Module 6: Problem Solving Exercise
• Problem Solving Group Activity
Module 7: Collecting and Analyzing Data
• Measurement Defined
• Handling Data
Module 8: Analyzing Process Variation and Examining Process Capability
• Is the Problem Due to an Out-of-Control Process?
• Is the Process Capable of Consistently Meeting Customer Requirements?
Module 9: Testing Root Cause
• Root Cause
Module 10: Developing and Evaluating Solutions and Countermeasures
• Developing Solutions
• Evaluating Solutions
• Sustaining the Improvement
• Long-Term Process Monitoring
Module 11: Problem Solving Exercise
• Problem Solving Group Activity
Module 12: Conclusion
Get More Info
If you would like additional information on these eLearning modules, or if you are interested in setting up a free demo, please reach out.
We are happy to provide you with more information to help you determine which course format is best for you and your employees.