Casting Material Properties
This course provides an in-depth discussion on expected performance of a casting. The production process influences the resulting mechanical properties and expected level of quality. The impacts of irregularities and post-casting treatments are discussed along with testing methods for determining properties and existing sources of property information that can be used in the casting’s design.
Class participants will learn to:
- Describe a variety of production characteristics that can influence the mechanical properties of a casting.
- Identify various tests to determine a casting’s material characteristics.
- Identify the impact the distribution of mechanical properties had on the function of the casting in service.
Course Length0.5 days
CEU Units0.30 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Production Influence on Casting Properties
• Cooling Rates and Heat Flow
• Casting Irregularities That Impact Mechanical Properties
• Post Casting Treatments
Module 3: Measuring Casting Properties
• Test Specimen Location
• Testing Types
Module 4: Impact of Properties on Performance
• Properties vs. Performance
• CADS Case Studies