"The instructor was very knowledgeable and engaging. Lab time was instructive."
Aluminum Melting 201
This course introduces the principles and best practices of aluminum melting for metalcasting. The course will examine furnace charging, furnace temperature and its effect on the melt, and in-furnace treatments to reduce impurities. Melt sampling, transfer and pouring methods, and the corresponding equipment will be analyzed, with demonstrations of various techniques throughout the course. Casting defects related to melting, treatment and transfer also will be presented and discussed.
Participants of this course will leave with the knowledge and skills to decrease the overall cost of melting operations by reducing metal spills, waste, dross, and scrap; realize profitability gains by improving energy efficiency through better molten metal handling; increase productivity by applying proper molten metal handling techniques; and demonstrate to other company employees as well as potential customers that quality begins with proper molten metal operations.
Course participants will learn to describe and identify:
- The principles of transforming solid aluminum to liquid.
- Furnace charging procedures.
- Accurate temperature measurement and control techniques.
- Purposes and methods of alloying.
- Impurities and their causes and handling.
- Melt loss causes and control methods.
- The purpose of fluxing and common methods of melt treatment.
- Various sampling techniques.
- Pouring techniques.
Course Length2.0 days
CEU Units1.20 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Course Overview
• Melting and the Final Cast Product
• Aluminum Melt and Transfer Overview
Module 3: Transforming Solid Aluminum to Liquid
• Safety Overview
• Heat Transfer and Efficient Heat Supply
• Melting Furnace Operations
• Temperature Measurement and Control
Module 4: Impurities and Melt Loss
• Dross Formation and Melt Loss
Module 5: Fluxes, Degassing, and Filtration
Module 6: Sampling Procedures
Module 7: Pouring Techniques and Practices
• From Furnace to Transfer Ladle
• Pouring Molds
• Automated Pouring Devices and Techniques