"There are so many types of processes and alloys, it is great to have people from different venues available for discussions."
Aluminum Crucible Furnace Practices
This Institute course covers aluminum furnace and crucible operations; including construction, operations, and maintenance practices for both electric and fuel-fired aluminum crucible furnaces.
This course offers both practical and theoretical knowledge for those operating aluminum crucible furnaces. Participants of this course will leave with the knowledge and skills to select an appropriate aluminum crucible for their needs; operate and maintain aluminum crucible furnaces; store, and handle crucibles to maintain the life of the crucible; describe refractory installation practices and how to avoid premature deterioration of the refractory; monitor and manage heating systems and burners; and optimize crucible furnace operations for improved efficiency.
Course participants will learn to describe and identify:
- Aluminum crucibles and furnaces.
- Maintenance best practices for aluminum crucibles, including storage, handling, cleaning, and safety.
- Aluminum furnace refractory materials (linings and crucibles), installation, and how to avoid deterioration.
- Proper aluminum crucible furnace operations.
- Crucible furnace heating system components and how to optimize performance.
- Temperature measurement tools and controls.
- The use of energy efficient aluminum crucible furnace optimization methods.
Course Length1.0 day
CEU Units0.60 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Crucibles
• Storage and Handling
Module 3: Furnaces and Refractories
• Furnace Types
• Getting Started
Module 4: Operations and Furnace Practice
• Oxidation and Cleaning
• Defects and Failure
Module 5: Heating Systems
• Modes of Heat Transfer and Heat Sources
• Combustion By-Products
Module 6: Metal Temperature Controls
• Energy Requirements
• Temperature Control and Measurements
Module 7: Optimization
• Energy Efficiency
• Process Considerations