Advanced 3D Manufacturing
This course provides participants will cover basic casting design rules comparing the traditional sand casting with toolingless 3D sand printing and emphasize the design freedom that comes with it. Overall design and optimization process and computer aided engineering tools including the effective use of casting process simulation for any new product development, casting conversion and redesign for thin-wall lower weight cast components will be covered with case studies. Key aspects of surface finish and dimensional tolerances with this new sand casting process will be discussed along with the typical casting and mold defects with examples. Overall inspection and quality control aspects for the 3D sand printing will be highlighted.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify basic casting design rules
- Describe the differences between the 3D sand printing and traditional casting processes
- Identify casting design optimization methods and computer aided design tools
- Identify dimensional tolerances, compare traditional and 3D sand printing tolerances and surface finish
- Identify common potential casting and mold defects in the 3D sand printing process
- Identify root causes for casting and mold defects
- Describe inspection methods and quality control tests for mold and casting production
Course Length2.0 days
CEU Units1.00 CEU
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Part Design and Development Process
Module 3: 3D Printed vs. Traditional Casting
Module 4: Optimization Methods
Module 5: Dimensional Tolerances
Module 6: Defects
Module 7: Quality Control
Module 8: Wrap Up
Get More Info
If you would like additional information on these courses, or if you are interested in setting up either a chapter-sponsored course or an in-plant course, please reach out.
We are happy to provide you with more information to help you determine which course format is best for you and your employees.