Energy costs have significantly increased in recent years, and market trends suggest that the demand for energy resources will rise dramatically in the coming years. The metalcasting industry will continue to face unstable energy markets, disruptions in supply chains as well as the effect of climate change/greenhouse gas regulations that will likely create a dramatic increase in energy costs. Energy will not continue at the current lower cost levels indefinitely. The profitability of the individual metalcasting facility can be at risk. In addition to hedging against future costs, energy reduction can have an immediate impact. Every operation should pay close attention to energy markets and immediately begin to measure, monitor and reduce energy consumption.
Energy management is a:
- A cost reduction strategy that can have an immediate impact on profitability.
- A risk protection strategy to protect against future energy rate increases and regulatory effects.
For more information and an overview on energy, click here.
AFS Energy Efficiency Opportunities
AFS offers a comprehensive set of tools to help the metalcasting facility manage energy and reduce the metalcasting industry’s energy dependence and carbon footprint.
- Energy Consultation: This program provides AFS Corporate Member metalcasting facilities a hands-on audit of utility bills, which often identifies billing errors and refund opportunities. Energy Solutions also offers competitive energy bid management and procurement assistance to ensure best rates and proper billing. Energy efficiency audits also are available. The program is offered at no upfront cost to AFS corporate members.
- Energy Star Partnership: AFS and Energy Star have joined forces to reduce energy consumption and improve your corporate bottom line while you become an environmental leader. Energy Star can help you develop and refine your corporate energy management program. Find out how you can manage energy with the same expertise used to manage other parts of your business.
- Portable Electricity Monitoring: AFS, in conjunction with Sensor Synergy and Alu-Bra Foundry recently tested power monitoring equipment to help identify opportunities to save on electricity costs. The program utilized Sensor Synergy’s portable monitoring system to measure and record electricity usage from three of Alu-Bra’s induction furnaces and provided the management team with real-time electricity cost display. The results were then sent to Sensor Synergy’s central data collection servers for off-site analysis.