AFS Voices Support for Pipeline Construction and Domestic Material Sourcing
April 13, 2017
AFS supports the president’s directives to move forward on the Keystone XL Pipeline, and to require the domestic sourcing of materials for the construction, retrofitting, repair, and expansion of pipelines inside the United States.
Earlier this week, AFS CEO Doug Kurkul wrote to the U.S. Department of Commerce, highlighting how these two presidential directives improve energy security for the U.S. and create jobs in construction and manufacturing, including metalcasting.
“The U.S. has more than 2.4 million miles of pipeline, the largest network in the world, and U.S. metal castings play an integral part in building and maintaining that network,” the letter said. “Our country has the means to improve access to safe, reliable, and affordable energy supplies from Canada, and reduce our need to import crude oil from less stable countries and regions of the world.
“Metalcasters manufacture thousands of high quality iron, steel and nickel alloy castings used in the construction, retrofitting, repair, and expansion of pipelines inside the United States. Metalcasters make possible the heavy-duty equipment used to build the pipelines, produce the gas and move it through pipelines to businesses and communities across America,” the letter said.
Here are just a few examples of the castings U.S. foundries produce:
- Valves and Seals
- Bushings, support castings and brackets
- Flow meter housings
- Blanks and billets for seamless refinery pipes
- Other piping and tubing applications
- Engine blocks
- Turbine housing
Other industry facts:
- Metalcasting is the sixth-largest industry in the U.S.
- The U.S. is the second largest supplier of castings in the world, after China.
- Metalcastings are used to produce 90% of all manufactured durable goods and nearly all manufacturing machinery.
- Metalcasting in the U.S. accounts for 200,000 jobs.
- The industry supports payroll of more than $9 billion, sales of more than $30.3 billion annually.
- Industry capacity is 15.3 million tons with the industry forecast to operate at 75% of capacity in 2017.
- The metalcasting industry is composed of predominately small businesses, with 80% of domestic metalcasters having fewer than 100 employees.
AFS policy positions are developed in the government affairs committee. AFS is the major trade and technical association for the North American metalcasting industry. AFS has more than 8,000 members representing over 2,000 metalcasting firms, their suppliers and customers.