84th Southeast Regional Gathers Metalcasters in Great Smoky Mountains
March 22, 2017
AFS President Jeff Cook gives opening remarks at the 2017 AFS Southeast Regional
AFS president Jeff Cook and AFS CEO Doug Kurkul kicked off the 84th AFS Southeast Regional on Thursday, March 23 in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. More than 150 attended the conference which featured table-top displays, a foundry tour and expert speakers from AFS and the metalcasting industry.
With continued optimism about the economy and the future of metalcasting, this was a beneficial event for AFS Chapters and their members, Cook said.
“The Tennessee chapter put on a great Southeast Regional Conference,” Cook said. “Their extensive programming covered everything from Silica to 3-D printing and is just another fine example of AFS Chapters excelling for their members.”
2017 Southeast Regional Presentations included:
- AFS Vice President Government Affairs, Stephanie Salmon: Regulation Here, There and Everywhere: What Steps are Congress and the New Administration Taking to Roll Back These Rules and its Impact on the U.S. Metalcasting Industry?
- Trent Blake, Keramida Inc.: Silica Standards and Source Reductions.
- Tom Renk, Alliant Castings: 3D Printed Tools for Iron.
- Wayne Cropp, Attorney, Baker Donelson: Is the Past Prologue? Environmental Regulation in the New Trump Administration.
- Women in Metalcasting Panel: Steering Committee Chairman, Patti Buksa, LaempeReich; Lindsay Hamner, American Cast Iron Pipe Co.; and Kelly McCool, Lodge Manufacturing: Careers and Work-Life Balance.
- John Letts, LaempeReich: ColdBox Core Technologies–Simulation and Real-Life Applications
- Mike Casey, Mueller Co.: Utilizing Ultrasound as a Foundational Technology When Embarking on a Reliability Transformation.
- Human Resources Panel: Hiring and Retention Practices Foundry Industry.
On Friday, March 24, attendees had the opportunity to tour the Tennessee Museum of Aviation & Mountain Mold and Die.
Each year the AFS Birmingham, Piedmont and Tennessee chapters rotate organizing the Southeast Regional.