- March 31 – April 1, 2015 : Gating & Riser Design #24-15
This course, for horizontal sand molding applications, will cover both ferrous and nonferrous theory and practice. A 2-day lecture course, topics covered include turbulence, solidification, shrinkage, metallostatic pressure effects, gating and riser system design and calculations, mold-wall movement, pouring times, and placement and feeding distance of risers.
- April 7 – 9, 2015 : AFS Safety 101 Bootcamp Seminar
This seminar will provide employees with current safety and health information and concepts they need to know regarding Safety, Health, and OSHA in the metalcasting industry.
- April 8, 2015 : Intro to Problem Solving & Process Improvement
Please be aware of the date of this course. It has recently changed from the brochure mailing. Please call 847-824-0181 x209 for any questions.
This 1 day course, which serves as an introduction to our 3 day Problem Solving class, provides participants with an overview of basic problem solving with an emphasis on the effective use of quality tools and root cause analysis. A five-step approach to problem solving is presented, encouraging the necessary “closed loop” thinking that drives better problem solutions and facilitates improvement. Data collection and data analysis tools are briefly described leading to improved communication about problems and fostering efficient problem solving. Examples are drawn from a metalcasting environment. Participants will be able to assess their own problem solving methods for gaps as they survey the sequence and systems approach presented to resolve quality problems.
- April 8 – 10, 2015 : AFS Southeast Regional Conference
- April 20, 2015 : AFS Additive Manufacturing Workshop! “Printing Your Future in 3D”
Plan to arrive the day before the Metalcasting Congress to attend a free workshop on additive manufacturing.
- April 21 – 23, 2015 : 119th Metalcasting Congress
The annual Metalcasting Congress features the latest advancements in metalcasting technology and services across the supply chain. The 119th Metalcasting Congress will be held in Columbus, Ohio, April 21 - 23, 2015, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
- April 21, 2015 : Division 3 Committee Meeting
- April 22, 2015 : 5D Committee Meeting
- April 22, 2015 : 8C/8D Committee Meeting
- April 22, 2015 : 4F Committee Meeting
- April 22, 2015 : 1Z Committee Meeting
- April 29 – 30, 2015 : Casting Defect Analysis #26-15
In order to determine the true root cause of a casting defect and select the proper corrective action, a systematic evaluation method must be applied. The intention of this course is for participants to become proficient in applying a ten step procedure that will enable them to analyze and reduce metalcasting defects by correctly identifying defects and their root causes, and determining appropriate corrective actions. This course is applicable to sand molding processes (green, nobake, coldbox, shell).
- May 5 – 6, 2015 : Copper Metallurgy 201 #27-15
Knowledge of physical metallurgy of copper alloys is necessary for the foundry metallurgists to effectively operate. This knowledge includes melt treatment, effects of alloy additions on physical and mechanical properties, solidification, heat treatment and final properties. The correlations between the processing technology, the defects and properties are an important feature for the foundry metallurgist as well as environmental issues. Copper Metallurgy 201 will address these topics to improve the metallurgical skills of the casting personnel.
- May 5 – 6, 2015 : FEF Annual Board Meeting
- May 7, 2015 : 8F Committee Meeting
- May 12 – 13, 2015 : Nobake Molding & Coremaking 201 #28-15
This 2 day laboratory course, held at Virginia Tech’s VT Fire Lab, is the second course in the nobake series, providing participants with the next level of knowledge related to the nobake molding and coremaking processes used within a foundry through discussion and hands-on laboratory activities. Some of the topics taught include: specialty sands; sand variables and sand additives; the types of chemical binders used to make nobake molds and cores; how to determine the correct sand and binder for the application; the use of refractory coatings, adhesives, and release agents; how to evaluate problem areas with raw materials, binders and equipment; and how to make adjustments to ensure a quality mold.
- May 12 – 14, 2015 : Hands-On Intro to Metalcasting #29-15
This 3 day laboratory course, held at Pittsburg State University, introduces the process of metalcasting. It provides a broad picture of what happens in a casting production facility, while illustrating the technology, variables and complexity involved in producing a casting. It covers casting design, alloy selection, process selection, design of the gating system, pouring and shakeout methods, cleaning and finishing methods, quality assurance, and key safety and environmental regulations. Students will participate in the making of several castings and participate in laboratory demonstrations throughout the course.
- May 12, 2015 : 4L Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- May 12, 2015 : 5R Committee Meeting
- May 13, 2015 : 8G Committee Meeting
- May 13, 2015 : 5A Committee Meeting
- May 13, 2015 : 5B Committee Meeting
- May 14, 2015 : 5P Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- May 19 – 20, 2015 : Casting Design #30-15
This course addresses principles of effective metalcasting design by delving into the major factors that affect final part design. Participants will explore alloy selection, metalcasting process capabilities and limitations and their effects on casting design, and the impact of secondary operations. Other major topics will include design for manufacturability, fab to casting design conversions, dimensional control, and the importance of casting simulation. Discussion and case studies will be used throughout this 2 day course to illustrate effective and practical casting design principles. Participants should have knowledge and experience in designing engineered components prior to attending this course.
- May 27, 2015 : Division 14 Committee Meeting
- May 28, 2015 : Aluminum 101: An introduction to Aluminum & Aluminum Casting Processes #31-15
An introductory course covering the characteristics and properties of aluminum, alloying elements and their general applications and considerations for working with aluminum cast parts. This course also covers melting technology and foundry casting technology, and looks at the decision making process behind specific technologies used.
- June 2 – 3, 2015 : AFS Government Affairs Conference
- June 2, 2015 : 8AB Committee Meeting
- June 3, 2015 : Green Sand Molding 101 #32-15
This course is an introduction to the green sand molding process used within a metalcasting facility. Discussion will include terminology, types of sands used, the mold making process, using and maintaining equipment, and considerations for preventing casting defects during the mold making process. Participants will leave the course with a basic foundation of the green sand molding process and techniques used in established facilities.
- June 3 – 5, 2015 : Ductile Iron Society (DIS) Spring Annual Meeting
- June 3, 2015 : 4F Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- June 9 – 10, 2015 : Casting Supplier Auditing #33-15
This course will review the methods supply chain personnel need to utilize to effectively perform audits of metalcasting facilities. Topics covered will include: an overview of the audit process; determining audit requirements; developing and preparing to perform an audit; and closing the audit loop. Held at a casting supplier, participants will spend the better part of the second class day auditing several different areas of the foundry as part of this interactive and hands-on course. In addition, the course registration fee includes a networking dinner June 9.
This course is only open to employees from companies who design and/or purchase metalcastings, and class size is limited to 20 participants. All participants will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Waupaca Foundry. Click the link below to view and download the form. This signed form is required prior to registration. Please contact Celeste Smith at email@example.com or 847-824-0181 x209 to submit your form and register.
- June 9, 2015 : AFS Division Council
- June 9, 2015 : Division Council Meeting
- June 10, 2015 : Research Board Meeting
- June 16 – 20, 2015 : GIFA
- June 16, 2015 : 10AB Committee Meeting
- June 16, 2015 : 10F Committee Meeting
- June 17, 2015 : 10E Committee Meeting
- June 17, 2015 : 10Q Subcommittee Meeting
- June 18, 2015 : Steel 101 #34-15
This course provides participants an introduction covering the characteristics and properties of steel, alloying elements and grades of steel, heat treatment, quality control, as well as considerations for working with steel cast parts. This course also covers melting technology and casting technology.
- June 18, 2015 : 10Q Committee Meeting
- June 23 – 24, 2015 : Casting Cost Estimating #35-15
Cost estimating is a critical factor in ensuring a manufacturing company continues to acquire customers and to be profitable. This course examines the various cost components and methods used to arrive at an accurate estimate of the casting production costs. It also provides information on common traps in casting estimates and measures that can be used to avoid them.
- July 22, 2015 : AFS/CMI Finance Committee Meeting
- August 9 – 10, 2015 : EHS Environmental 101-15
- August 11 – 13, 2015 : AFS 27th Environmental Health & Safety Conference
- August 18 – 20, 2015 : AFS/CMI Board of Directors Meeting
- September 2, 2015 : 4F Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- September 8, 2015 : 8AB Committee Meeting
- September 15, 2015 : Division 3 Committee Meeting
- September 15, 2015 : 10AB Committee Meeting
- September 15, 2015 : 10F Committee Meeting
- September 16, 2015 : 10E Committee Meeting
- September 16, 2015 : 10Q Subcommittee Meeting
- September 17, 2015 : 10Q Committee Meeting
- September 27 – 29, 2015 : AFS Foundry Executive Conference
- October 5 – 7, 2015 : AFS Conference on High Integrity Aluminum Castings
- October 5 – 7, 2015 : North American Die Cassting Association (NADCA) Die Casting Congress Exposition
- October 7 – 9, 2015 : AFS International Ferrous Melting Conference
- October 14 – 16, 2015 : Ductile Iron Society (DIS) T&O Meeting
- October 18 – 21, 2015 : Investment Casting Institute (ICI) 62nd Annual Technical Conference and Expo
- November 10, 2015 : AFS Division Council
- November 10, 2015 : Division Council Meeting
- November 11, 2015 : 5A Committee Meeting
- November 11, 2015 : 5B Committee Meeting
- November 19 – 20, 2015 : FEF College Industry Conference
- December 9 – 12, 2015 : Steel Founders’ Society of America (SFSA) National T&O Conference
- December 16, 2015 : AFS/CMI Finance Committee Meeting