- May 27, 2015 : Division 14 Committee Meeting
- May 28, 2015 : Aluminum 101: An introduction to Aluminum & Aluminum Casting Processes #31-15
An introductory course covering the characteristics and properties of aluminum, alloying elements and their general applications and considerations for working with aluminum cast parts. This course also covers melting technology and foundry casting technology, and looks at the decision making process behind specific technologies used.
- May 28, 2015 : Webinar: The Link Between T&D and World-Class Status
- June 2 – 3, 2015 : North American Die Casting Association (NADCA) Government Affairs Briefing
- June 2 – 3, 2015 : 2015 Government Affairs Conference
Make your voice for manufacturing heard in Washington, D.C., this June and join your fellow metalcasters for the industry’s annual Government Affairs Conference and "lobby day" in our nation’s capital.
- June 2, 2015 : 8AB Committee Meeting
- June 3, 2015 : Green Sand Molding 101 #32-15
This course is an introduction to the green sand molding process used within a metalcasting facility. Discussion will include terminology, types of sands used, the mold making process, using and maintaining equipment, and considerations for preventing casting defects during the mold making process. Participants will leave the course with a basic foundation of the green sand molding process and techniques used in established facilities.
- June 3 – 5, 2015 : Ductile Iron Society (DIS) Spring Annual Meeting
- June 3, 2015 : 4F Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- June 8, 2015 : AFS Research Board
- June 9 – 10, 2015 : Casting Supplier Auditing #33-15
This course will review the methods supply chain personnel need to utilize to effectively perform audits of metalcasting facilities. Topics covered will include: an overview of the audit process; determining audit requirements; developing and preparing to perform an audit; and closing the audit loop. Held at a casting supplier, participants will spend the better part of the second class day auditing several different areas of the foundry as part of this interactive and hands-on course. In addition, the course registration fee includes a networking dinner June 9.
This course is only open to employees from companies who design and/or purchase metalcastings, and class size is limited to 20 participants. All participants will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Waupaca Foundry. Click the link below to view and download the form. This signed form is required prior to registration. Please contact Celeste Smith at email@example.com or 847-824-0181 x209 to submit your form and register.
- June 9, 2015 : AFS Division Council
- June 9, 2015 : Division Council Meeting
- June 10, 2015 : Research Board Meeting
- June 15, 2015 : Foundry Minerals & Markets Forum 2015
- June 16 – 20, 2015 : GIFA
- June 16, 2015 : 10AB Committee Meeting
- June 16, 2015 : 10F Committee Meeting
- June 17, 2015 : 10E Committee Meeting
- June 17, 2015 : 10Q Subcommittee Meeting
- June 18, 2015 : Steel 101 #34-15
This course provides participants an introduction covering the characteristics and properties of steel, alloying elements and grades of steel, heat treatment, quality control, as well as considerations for working with steel cast parts. This course also covers melting technology and casting technology.
- June 18, 2015 : 10Q Committee Meeting
- June 23 – 24, 2015 : Casting Cost Estimating #35-15
Cost estimating is a critical factor in ensuring a manufacturing company continues to acquire customers and to be profitable. This course examines the various cost components and methods used to arrive at an accurate estimate of the casting production costs. It also provides information on common traps in casting estimates and measures that can be used to avoid them.
- July 15 – 16, 2015 : Coldbox Process 201 #01-16
This course is the second in the coldbox series, and provides the next level of knowledge in relation to the molding and coremaking processed using within a foundry to make coldbox cores. Discussion will include coldbox terminology and a review of the coldbox process for coremaking, common sands, additives and coatings used, coldbox binders and in particular PUCB, a look at core box equipment, core box tooling and best usage parameters, and considerations when troubleshooting and optimizing the process for proper quality assurance.
- July 22, 2015 : AFS/CMI Finance Committee Meeting
- July 29, 2015 : Green Sand Testing #02-16
This course provides detailed instruction on the need for and how to correctly perform widely used green sand tests, including proper sand sampling methods, from the AFS Mold & Core Test Handbook. This 1 day, focused course will be held in a lab setting to provide hands-on practice running tests. Participants will also learn typical operating ranges for test values, and be able to discuss results. To view a list of which tests will be performed, and determine whether this is the right course for you, please review the course syllabus available online.
- August 4 – 5, 2015 : Casting Defect Analysis #03-16
In order to determine the true root cause of a casting defect and select the proper corrective action, a systematic evaluation method must be applied. Implementing the wrong solution can cost the foundry in terms of runtime, cost, waste, safety, reduced return on investment or profit, sales and expertise. The intention of this course is for participants to become proficient in applying a ten step procedure that will enable them to analyze and reduce metalcasting defects by correctly identifying defects and their root causes, and determining appropriate corrective actions. This course is applicable to sand molding processes (green, nobake, coldbox, shell).
- August 6, 2015 : Iron 101 #04-16
This is an introductory course covering the major cast iron families. Topics include characteristics and properties as well as general applications for each iron type, common alloying elements and their uses, iron melting technology and considerations, compatible casting processes, and heat treatment options and applications. Designed for those new to iron casting, case studies and group activities will be used throughout the course.
- August 9 – 13, 2015 : Environ 101 Seminar & 27th EHS Conference
Register for both the EHS conference and Environmental 101 seminar to gain instruction on EHS basics as well as discussion and updates on current issues and challenges facing the industry.
- August 9 – 10, 2015 : Environmental 101 Seminar
This two-day seminar gives instruction on the basic environmental issues and concerns to the industry, equipping attendees with information and direction on proper permitting and reporting, testing, pollution control and environmental management.
- August 11, 2015 : Copper 101 #06-16
This course provides participants an introduction covering the characteristics and properties of copper, alloying elements and their general applications, and considerations for working with copper cast parts. This course also covers melting and casting technology, and looks at the decision making process behind specific technologies used.
Benefits to taking this course include practical and theoretical knowledge for those entering into or establishing relationships with others in the copper casting business. It provides a comprehensive foundation of the processes, treatments and practical applications of cast copper, and walks the participant through decisions that affect final product cost. This course also serves as a prerequisite for other copper courses.
- August 11 – 13, 2015 : Design & Opimization for 3D Sand Printing #05-16
There are many advantages to the use of 3D sand printing of molds and cores, especially when it comes to casting design, and the technology is being rapidly adopted in all sectors. This course focuses on designing castings for the 3D sand printing process, as well as optimizing existing designs to take advantage of the unique capabilities afforded. Topics covered include the advantages and limitations to the process; when to use the process; and important considerations such as communication, storage and handling of cores and molds, gating design and the use of simulation, file formats, and key features allowable. Case studies will be used throughout the course. This course will be held at the 3D sand printing center located at Techworks in Waterloo, IA.
- August 11, 2015 : AFS Research Board
- August 11 – 13, 2015 : 27th EHS Conference
The annual EHS conference covers hotbed EHS topics and provides ways to improve the health and safety of metalcasting workers.
- August 12 – 13, 2015 : Gating & Riser Design #07-16
This course, for horizontal sand molding applications, will cover both ferrous and nonferrous theory and practice. A 2-day lecture course, topics covered include turbulence, solidification, shrinkage, metallostatic pressure effects, gating and riser system design and calculations, mold-wall movement and computer modeling, pouring times, and placement and feeding distance of risers.
- August 18 – 20, 2015 : AFS/CMI Board of Directors Meeting
- August 20 – 21, 2015 : 2015 Chapter Officers Conference
The 2015 Chapter Officers Conference will be held August 20-21, at the Hyatt-Rosemont in Rosemont, IL.
- September 1 – 2, 2015 : Iron Metallurgy 201 #08-16
The purpose of this course is to provide target audience participants with knowledge and skills regarding terminology, principles, and techniques for the metallurgy of gray and ductile iron casting alloys. This practical course makes clear the reasons why foundry personnel 'do what they do' in relation to iron casting metallurgy. This course examines gray and ductile iron structure and properties; how to interpret (read) single and 2 component phase diagrams and recognize characteristics from microstructures; solidification behaviors and reactions; preparation and analysis of metallographic samples; iron casting defects specifically related to metallurgy; and more. Please review the learning outcomes on the course syllabus, available online.
- September 2, 2015 : 4F Committee Meeting and Plant Tour
- September 8, 2015 : 8AB Committee Meeting
- September 15 – 16, 2015 : Nobake Molding & Coremaking 101 #09-16
This course provides participants with a basic foundation of the nobake molding and coremaking process used within a foundry. Discussion will include basic terminology, common chemical binders used, the mold and coremaking process, equipment, and evaluating molds for defects. Participants will receive hands-on practice, walk through the decision-making process for evaluating casting deficiencies and leave with a customized troubleshooting list for use back on the job. This course is a pre-requisite for advanced molding, testing and control courses.
- September 15, 2015 : Division 3 Committee Meeting
- September 15, 2015 : 10AB Committee Meeting
- September 15, 2015 : 10F Committee Meeting
- September 16, 2015 : 10E Committee Meeting
- September 16, 2015 : 10Q Subcommittee Meeting
- September 17, 2015 : 10Q Committee Meeting
- September 22 – 23, 2015 : Introduction to Metalcasting #10-16
This course introduces the process of metalcasting. It provides a broad picture of what happens in a casting production facility, while illustrating the technology, variables and complexity involved in producing a casting. It covers casting design, alloy selection, process selection, design of the gating system, pouring and shakeout methods, cleaning and finishing methods, quality assurance, and key safety and environmental regulations.
- September 27 – 29, 2015 : AFS Foundry Executive Conference
- October 5 – 7, 2015 : North American Die Casting Association (NADCA) Die Casting Congress Exposition
- October 5 – 7, 2015 : Design and Production of High Quality Aluminum Castings
- October 7 – 8, 2015 : North American Die Casting Association (NADCA) Marketing Conference
- October 7, 2015 – October 9, 2015 : AFS International Ferrous Melting Conference
- October 14, 2015 – October 16, 2016 : Non-Ferrous Founders' Society (NFFS) 2016 Industry Executive Conference & Annual Meeting
- October 16 – 18, 2015 : Non-Ferrous Founders' Society (NFFS) 2015 Industry Executive Conference & Annual Meeting
- October 18 – 21, 2015 : Investment Casting Institute (ICI) 62nd Annual Technical Conference and Expo
- October 27, 2015 : Ductile Iron Society Design With Ductile Iron Seminar
- October 28 – 30, 2015 : Ductile Iron Society T&O Meeting
- November 4 – 5, 2015 : Casting Industry Suppliers Association (CISA) Business Meeting
- November 10, 2015 : AFS Division Council
- November 10, 2015 : Division Council Meeting
- November 11, 2015 : 5A Committee Meeting
- November 11, 2015 : 5B Committee Meeting
- November 19 – 20, 2015 : FEF College Industry Conference
- December 9 – 12, 2015 : Steel Founders’ Society of America (SFSA) National T&O Conference
- December 16, 2015 : AFS/CMI Finance Committee Meeting