The AFS/Metal Casting Design & Purchasing Casting Competition is your chance to show the engineering and purchasing community what a metal casting can accomplish. Beyond the company recognition and industry public relations gained through the “best-in-class” castings, all entries will appear in Metal Casting Design & Purchasing magazine’s “Castings in Action” and “Casting Innovations” departments. This year’s Casting of the Year will receive a free year’s license of Magmasoft simulation software, while Best in Class receive 6 month licenses. Also, this year’s winners will be showcased at Cast in North America at Metalcasting Congress in April 2017.
Participation is open to all North American metalcasters and designers/users of metal castings. Previous entries may be resubmitted. Castings are sought in all metals, casting processes, end-use applications and sizes/weights. Click here for the entry form.
Independent judges will evaluate each entry on:
- Benefits delivered to the casting customer.
- The use of the casting process’ unique capabilities.
- Contribution to growth and expansion of the casting market.
The deadline for submission is Jan. 31, 2017. Please complete the form below (with any supplemental information) and send it, along with the casting, to:
1695 N. Penny Ln.
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4555.
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Casting Competition, 1695 N. Penny Lane, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
Award Winners from the 2016 Casting Competition
Meridian Lightweight Technologies and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles won the AFS/Metal Casting Design & Purchasing Casting of the Year award for their liftgate closure inner casting for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. The casting is a collaboration between Fiat, Meridian and Thai Summit America Corp., and represents the first high-volume magnesium application of its kind in the automotive industry. The casting forms part of a four-piece assembly with aluminum sheet upper and lower outers and aluminum stamping wiper reinforcement to reduce the weight of the entire assembly by more than 22 lbs. (10 kg)—nearly a 50% reduction over the previous generation design.
The AFS/Metal Casting Design & Purchasing Magazine Casting Competition is held every year to give North American metalcasting facilities the chance to show the engineering and purchasing community what a cast metal part can accomplish.
Eight other castings were honored as Best in Class or Honorable Mention winners.
Best in Class:
- Monarch Industries, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, for a walker casting for tillage equipment.
- Tooling & Equipment International, Livonia, Michigan, for a thermal command center that combines a water pump, thermostat and bypass valves in a marine application.
- John Deere Waterloo Foundry, Waterloo, Iowa, for the 9RX 4-TRAX drive housing that contains driveline components for each track in a new tractor.
- Carley Foundry Inc., Blaine, Minnesota, for a stator housing used in a condenser fan assembly in an aircraft galley cooling system.
- Acra Cast Inc., Bay City, Michigan, for a stainless steel face mask for professional and amateur football helmets.
- Goldens’ Foundry & Machine Co., Columbus, Georgia, for a cast iron grill set alternative to the ceramic kamado grills.
- Aarrowcast Inc., Shawana, Wisconsin, for a ductile iron drive sprocket for a rubber track system.
- Magna Cosma Casting Michigan, Battle Creek, Michigan, for aluminum body-in-white die castings serving as structural components for the General Motors CT6.